Saturday, February 19, 2011

Year in Music - 2010

For the last four or five years I've documented the prior year of music listening on a mix CD, created every January. The rules I impose on myself:

-One song max. from each album, and one song max. from each artist. If I didn't follow the second part of that rule I would have an album full of New Order this year!
-Has to fit on one CD.
-Must mix well. I often end up with less than a CD's worth of material because of this rule.

There's no limitation on the year it was created; the song does not have to be from 2010.


2010 Brought the Goods! 15 Tracks o' Awesome

1. Converter- Helio Sequence B-side
This is a fantastic song. Thank you Record Store day 2010! It's a shame the world doesn't know more about Converter; this song motivates me to keep trying to make a difference. Take a listen.





2. With a Shout- U2 October
When I was gone for a month with YCEW high schoolers in Aguascalientes, Mexico, all I had was my 2GB iPod shuffle. It was filled with early U2 songs. Angela E. I get why October was (is?) your favorite U2 album. Took me a while, eh? :)

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/857/coverrzl.jpg



3. Stretch Out and Wait- The Smiths from The World Won't Listen
I've liked this song since I first attained Louder Than Bombs in high school. This is the version that has lyrics that start with
"All the lies that you make up/
What's at the back of your mind?/
Oh, your face I can see and it's desperately kind/
What's at the back of your mind ?"

Who can't relate to this song? And isn't Morrissey adorable in the picture below?

http://www.sonicitchmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/morrissey.jpg



4. Suffer the Children- Tears for Fears, The Hurting
I know that everyone on the planet knows who this group is, but mostly for a couple of songs...and Tears for Fears deserve to be held up with all the best groups of the 80s. Also, as Ana Boyd can attest, they still got it! ;)

If you know/like them, listen to "Suffer the Children" again. Love the chorus of kids!

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/271200/Tears+for+Fears.jpg



5. Kingdom- Working for a Nuclear Free City, Business Men & Ghosts
I found out about this Mancunian band listening to Pandora. Some great stuff on this two-disc collection. This was a song I found particularly appealing.





6. Many Moons- Janelle MonĂ¡e, Metropolis
A five foot, bundle of music GODDESS! Watch her live, that's all I've got to say. 

http://www.arjanwrites.com/arjanwrites/images/2008/05/07/arjanwrites_janelle_live.jpg



7. Appalachian Memories- Dolly Parton, Burlap and Satin
I have always liked Dolly, but 2010 marked the year of making a point to start buying her early music. Anything before 1977 is consistently great. Sadly, a lot of the songs she performed from then on were not so good...to put it mildly. Go listen to "Potential New Boyfriend" if you don't believe me. What I can deduce is that the songs others wrote for her were dreck, while her own songs (like this one and "A Gamble Either Way" from Burlap and Satin) were gems in the commercial garbage her music drowned in during the 80s.





8. Seal it With a Kiss (demo)- Grant Lee Phillips, Little Mono
Little Mono is a collection of demos for the album Little Moon. Only Grant would sing a line like "Now you know my loving is/ deadly serious." If you ever get the chance to see him live, you should. He's a great live performer with funny and endearing dialogue between songs. (Oh, and I SHOOK HIS HAND ONCE!)





9. Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)- Shakira, 2010 FIFA World Cup Theme
I sang this song in Mexico with wonderful Esther...I didn't know the Spanish version, she didn't know the English version, but BOY you should have heard us on the chorus!




10. 10 Mile Stereo- Beach House, Teen Dream
I really enjoyed this album, and it was hard to narrow it down to one song to include in my mix. A warm album with catchy melodies and a great singer. The Beach Boys have grand children, folks! (yeah!)

http://joonbug.com/media/ypYeZPflPro/teen-dream.jpg



11. Take Me Over- Cut Copy first song released from Zonoscope
I pretty much live for Cut Copy. I'll be writing a whole entry about In Ghost Colours one of these days, and I'm loving Zonoscope. These guys have such charisma, love, and joie de vivre (French! Watch out multilinguists- what now!?)...and it's catching. Hands down, Cut Copy are the best live show I've ever seen...and that's saying a lot.  This song doesn't disappoint, it's just as catchy and warm and full of heart as any of their songs.

"Do you hear the voice inside your head/
Whispering to live your dreams instead?/
Some people cling to what they know/
But I woke up and now it's time to go"

PS I love Dan Whitford. Ryan knows and accepts this. :) 

PSPS Cut Copy are more grandchildren of the Beach Boys...but not related to Mike Love, thank you very much.

http://cdn.pitchfork.com/media/cutcopy452.jpg



12. Tyrant Destroyed- Twin Shadow, Forget
Now here's an incredible find (thanks to Tutt and Ian for spreading the love to Ryan, and therefore me)! George Lewis, Jr. played every instrument on this album when he recorded it...the guy is amazing, especially considering that there's a lot going on in the songs, much of it pretty subtle. The whole album is great. The songs are catchy, moving, warm. Very 80s inspired, very now. HIGHLY recommended- the best album of 2010!

http://www.nypress.com/imgs/blogs/blog7278widea.jpg



13. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)- Arcade Fire, The Suburbs
I'm turning 30 this year. I'm at an age where I've seen a lot of people give up their dreams and ideals, give up on themselves. It's important to acknowledge the places we're not listening to ourselves, to nurture ourselves and stop listening to the people who tell us it's all over. Go you!

"They heard me singing and they told me to stop/
Quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock/
These days my life, I feel it has no purpose/
But late at night the feelings swim to the surface."

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l881cbXcPA1qbej1yo1_500.jpg



14. Heaven is 10 Zillion Light Years Away- Stevie Wonder, Fulfillingness' First Finale 
When I was making a mix for Ryan's birthday, I knew I had to add some Stevie Wonder. As I was listening to this album, "Heaven..." especially struck me. A beautiful song full of yearning and faith.

"Tell me people
Why can't they say that hate is 10 zillion light years away
Why can't the light of good shine God's love in every soul
Why must my color black make me a lesser man
I thought this world was made for every man
He loves us all, that's what my God tells me
And I say it's taken Him so long
'Cause we've got so far to come..."

And we are still traveling to that destination...

http://bklynbywaycuse.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/1974fulfillingness_first_finale.jpg



15. Face Up- New Order, Low-Life
Last year was the year of New Order re-issue listening. Low-Life might be my favorite...but I would hate to be forced into a decision. New Order is a band that can explore all shades, from dark to light, and sometimes the darkest and lightest at the same time. Need I mention "Ceremony"? How can that song make me feel so good when the lyrics are so horribly depressing? Also, Hooky is one of my favorite bassists of all time...nobody plays bass like he does. Melody bass, I tell you! Fantastic!

Face Up appeals to me because it makes me dance, it makes me happy, and it tells the world off with a swagger despite some prior, nebulous hurt or loss. This is perfect for where I work. Nothing is going to get me down! 

2 comments:

  1. Heaven is 10 Zillion Light Years Away has gotten me through some dark days! Love that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS--COLLEEN! LOVE the blog. Each time I get a few spare minutes I've been checking it out, you oughta be a profesh music reviewer. Very noice.

    ReplyDelete