Thursday, March 17, 2011

Backsides Only

My jaw is hanging open right now....this is Webster's definition of a B-side:

B-side
noun
the less important side of a pop single record.

Uh, to quote Depeche Mode, WRONG ! Every single lovin' kid since Elvis' cover of "Hound Dog" knows that the "b" stands for buried treasure!

I've got two fistfuls of b-sides here for your listening enjoyment.

These are songs I've listened to obsessively because they are every bit as good as an A-side. ¡No te preocupes! I've limited myself to one per artist, so this isn't just a page full of PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, and Smiths b-sides, although it rightfully could be. In no particular order...



"Orpheus," Grant Lee Buffalo single Mockingbirds, from the album Mighty Joe Moon

This is an incredible song, musically and lyrically. There's a melancholy and menace here that has something to do with starlight and the American plains...this is an American band...more so than any other I've heard.






"Carry Us All," the Oasis single Sunday Morning Call, from the album Standing on the Shoulder of Giants

One of the wonderful things about being a Yankee that loves British music (should I say EngRock?) is that I don't have to take sides in the Blur/Oasis love match (to the death!). I can quite jump in on the intense Noel worshiping. And though Liam is hilarious, and a great stand-up comic who plays a mean dumb-arse, Noel is ultimately the better, more heartfelt singer. I also relate to Noel's working-class idealism, and find his faith in humanity touching.

Be forewarned, there are more pictures of Noel in this video than you ever wanted to see.




"Take to the Sky," Tori Amos single Winter, from the album Little Earthquakes 

This song was really good to me and became one of my anthems when I was first realizing the position the world puts women in. If life was a musical, I'd hope for a rousing, pint-raising, stool-spinning rendition of this song in the local pub. This song is simply meant to be sung along to.





"Love in a Void," Siouxsie and the Banshees single Mittageisen.

One of Sioux's earliest lyrics. I find this absolutely irresistible. I love Siouxsie's voice, every growl, rumble, and shriek. She's a great and underrated singer.  The version below is a Peel session recording from 11/29/77.





"Sands of Time," the Cut Copy single Far Away, from the album In Ghost Colours

This is the only new track released as a b-side from this album; the rest of the b-sides are remixes.

One of the great things about this album are the lows that provide the foundation for the dance-tastic-ness that ensues. Give this song a minute to get your feet moving.

Also, the sand/art process here is pretty interesting.





"Piss Factory," Patti Smith's single, Hey Joe 

You want punk? Patti DIY'd this in 1974. It doesn't get more punk than this.

Warning: explicit content...not for the faint of heart, or the sensitive of ear.




"Pencils in the Wind," Flight of the Conchords. Another Record Store Day vinyl-only release of AWESOME!

I love that amidst their silliness, FOTC really are aficionados of music, and do the soul style with zeal and skill. Also, teachers, this is a great way to teach similes and metaphors!




"Memphis," PJ Harvey's single Good Fortune, from the album Stories From the City, Stories from the Sea.

You may have already read my entry about Jeff Buckley and his album, Grace...this song is about him.

All of PJ's singles are great (and the gal's got a lot of them), but this one hits me like a knockout punch when I hear it. I know I use religious terms to describe my most intense musical liaisons, and this one's right in the mix. When I hear this song, I feel the spirit and hear the voice of Jeff Buckley in there. He is palpably present. Exquisite.




"Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)," from U2's single With or Without, from the album The Joshua Tree

Bono does a great job of landing on lyrics by just singing along to a melody. Hear here an unfinished song from the studio. Brian Eno, shame on you for not finding time to finish this gem!


"Hold on to love
Hold on to love
Love won't let you go
Hold on to love
Hold on to love
She the sunlight in her song
See the sunlight in her soul"





"Wonderful Woman," The Smiths' single This Charming Man, from the album Hatful of Hollow (and later the American release of the debut album)

There's not much to say (about this song) that hasn't already been said...so I'll say nothing at all...



It's almost enough to convert the hardest of hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment