Sunday, July 31, 2011

1972 (Anniversary Mix)


http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2567/4163754025_374a466b00.jpg

Who knew that 1972 was filled with such positive, poptastic energy? This mix is sending golden summer goodness through my veins like a tasty hefeweizen, causing me to throw on lps I haven't given a proper listen to since I first got my fingers grimy with record bin dust.

My parents got married in '72-- my mom's color choices were yellow, green, and orange-- and my fair-haired father donned a white tux (detailed in black) with a pink cummerbund. My mom's three brothers took my dad camping the night before...and he awoke to find himself very near the edge of a cliff. Those sneaky brother-in-laws. I hope my parents were filled with optimism as they took "the plunge" into commitment; it's wonderful to see that they still love each other after 39 years!

In putting together this mix for their anniversary, I could feel the love and hopefulness radiating from the artists. Many of these people faced life-diminishing challenges and yet chose to channel a generous energy into their fellow humans. It's hard to imagine a time when trying to love the world wasn't viewed as cheesy, naive, or far-fetched. Today's pop radio, with it's distinct lack of abstract thinking, stands in stark contrast.

I've decided to hop in my time machine (it looks like a phonograph and time travel is achieved in the same manner as Superman's in Superman I) and spend some time experiencing the pop music of the 1970s. Please consider tagging along! I've got an extra suitcase.




Mike & Sue 1972
1. "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green
2. "I Saw the Light" - Todd Rundgren
3. "Song Sung Blue" - Neil Diamond
4. "All This is That" - The Beach Boys
5. "Got to Be There" - The Jackson 5
6. "Crocodile Rock" - Elton John
7. "Top of the World" - The Carpenters
8. "Garden Party" - Ricky Nelson
9. "Mary Had a Little Lamb" - Wings
10. "I Believe (When I Fall in Love it Will Be Forever)" - Stevie Wonder
11. "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" - John Lennon & Yoko Ono

No comments:

Post a Comment