Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rock of Ages

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgSnPy6l2fdf2MPdtc_gSl3eGjbf441p4LBG4jeVQGbvaeo0wQ1vANpZARQVe4YO6PYB-PLX30ZZwnglik7QMN99AnuvB9hyphenhyphen3urzKm47OLLyovpRlo1azJN05x4qVxoarrR5ljlUx9zG2s/s1600/grantleebuffalo.jpg

I'm a Quaker. This is often easier than saying, "I'm a Christian" because the C-word has developed a number of negative connotations over the last couple millennium...I'm sure you know what I'm talking about: hatred, bigotry, alienation, unflagging dogma...all those things Jesus didn't like so much, and got in a lot of trouble for avoiding and condemning through his actions. Christianity, in many communities, has become embroiled in owning "right," and making sure others know they are firmly "wrong." I want to separate myself from judgment, focus my energy on loving, make sure I am living, acting, and thinking a manner Jesus would like (I'd hesitate at the idea of guessing my batting average).

As a music and word lover, I've found myself uncomfortable with conventional Christian music. I don't like "Christian-ese," and the more folks talk about Christ, often the less I see of Jesus in their actions (this is not always the case, but far too frequently). As Francis of Assisi said, "Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words." When I listen to spiritual music, I want to hear and feel what is really in the hearts of people; I desire authenticity over simplicity, honesty over correctness.

My intention with my "Sunday Song" postings is to share a song that resonates with me as honest and authentic songwriting that acknowledges a higher power...a song that probably won't be heard playing in church.

Kicking it off, a song about feeling ashamed, guilty, and alone. We've all been there, right?

Grant Lee Buffalo- "Rock of Ages" from the album Mighty Joe Moon



No comments:

Post a Comment