Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Eyes Wide Open

Working with teenagers for a living creates a mercury-rising-in-Death-Valley-heat intolerance for excuse-making; there are only so many times a person can handle hearing, "But THEY did it FIRST!" in a grasp for absolution. One begins to understand the worn-out sayings about friends jumping off bridges. The sad thing is that this is the kind of reaction most of us-- and I'm including myself here-- revert to when we are called on to change our actions.

There was a story on a local news station tonight about my community considering banning plastic bags in an effort to prevent waste; a conversation that is happening in a number of cities. One woman contributed the comment, "I know it's good for the environment, but everybody is already wasting," to the affect that we shouldn't ban them.  Not only did this make my mercury spike, but reminded me of two lines in the Gotye song "Eyes Wide Open":

But it was like to stop consuming's to stop being human 
And why'd I make a change if you won't?

It wasn't until I watched the music video a few weeks ago that I considered "Eyes Wide Open"  as a song not about human relationships, but a song about the environment. The post-apocolypt in me thinks Gotye's got it right.

Some people offered up answers (questions)  
We made out like we heard  
They were only words  
They didn't add up  
To a change in the way we were living  
And the saddest thing 
Is all of it could have been avoided
 
But it was like to stop consuming's to stop being human  
And why'd I make a change if you won't?  
We're all in the same boat  
Staying afloat for the moment

We walk the plank with our eyes wide open... 

Let's care enough about each other and the world to be honest about our negative habits. 

1 comment:

  1. Such a great song!
    Most of the major grocery stores here charge you for bags in an attempt to reduce waste but of course it doesn't really work. The charge is so small that most people don't care and littering is rampant here anyway-- not just plastic bags of course. I think taking away the choice or making the punishment system harsher (name and shame!) would be much more effective overall.

    ReplyDelete