Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I'll Be Home for Christmas

Welcome to 20 days of Christmas! 

The window to appreciate truly excellent Christmas music is short (prepare to be muzak'd while Christmas shopping!), so TSMM is bringing you 20 days of song, mistletoe, and an endless mug of hot cocoa.

"I"ll Be Home for Christmas," sung by the inimitable Bing Crosby, was released in 1943 in the midst of war and uncertainty. It's easy to imagine soldiers standing in the snow in Germany, or lying in their bunks on a battleship, humming the wistful, simple melody, the twist last line of the second stanza echoing the longing they felt for home.

I'll be home for Christmas
You can plan on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents on the tree

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the lovelight gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams

The longing women at home felt, imagining their men in the voice of Bing, was just as fierce.

Nearly sixty years later, the song still feels personal and relevant.



This entry is dedicated to my dear Grandma and Grandpa "Howdy", together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment